Monday 14 November 2011

Where it all started

My fascination with Martial Arts began back in '97.

I was working full time as a bartender at Casey's Grillehouse and Beverage Company on Dundas St. in Mississauga.  That summer a guy from Saskatchewan (named "Guy" no less!) joined the staff and had a bit of trouble finding his feet - as an already old hand at table and drink service I helped him out whenever I could and we became fast friends.

The restaurant business wasn't for him and he faded away after a couple of months.  Coincidentally, all that summer my eyes were drawn to a new shop across the way that had the coolest looking purple neon lights that were like a beacon in the night sky.  I had no idea what kind of shop it was, and kept promising myself to check it out the following day.

It wasn't until sometime in September that I went to find out (I wasn't too big on integrity back then).  As I walked across the parking lot on a split (lunch/break/dinner shift) I was surprised to see it was a Karate club by the name of "United Family Martial Arts".  There were neons around the door glowing dully in the mid-September sun which read "Karate, Tae-Kwon do, Jiu-Jitsu".  Though I admit to feeling a little intimidated by what I might face inside, I decided I was tired of reverting to my two handed chest push I had learned as an offensive lineman in high school football whenever things got out of hand at the bar.  I wanted to learn something useful and get in shape, and have something in common with my oldest brother Chuck who was at that time living in Japan, teaching english and studying Shotokan.

So, I walked through the door, and there was Guy sitting behind the desk!  After paying $30.00 I had an intro session and a lightweight white uniform with a brand new and very stiff white belt.  As I think back, my martial arts skill really was well represented by that thing.  Way too stiff and needing to be worked in.

I was hooked immediately and decided to sign up without even meeting the instructor.  I was allowed to sign up to the BBM program (unlimited classes for $90.00 a month) right away - usually only reserved for orange belts and above.  I guess it really is about who you know.

Then I met my first instructor.  Miss Krista Shearer (Now Mrs. Kersey).  She was already a world champion in Kata and Sparring in the WKA.  I hadn't yet met Mr. Brandon Kersey, her fiancee and also world champion in Kata, Sparring, and Weapons in the WKA.  We also had the special privilege of learning from Sensei Gerry Watson, a rokudan in Jiu-Jitsu, and Kyoshi Steve, also in Jiu-Jitsu (I wish I had more information about him!)


Krista Shearer and Brandon Kersey


From that day on, I trained a minimum of four times a week, more often five or six, but more about that part of the journey to come.

Yours on the journey,
J.



1 comment:

  1. Great story so far Jamie. I am impressed by your eagerness to check out the karate club because that two handed chest push, really, only exists on the football field. Looking forward to next post.

    ReplyDelete